SAFA : Khune and Mathoho make the Rio 2016 Squad
Coach of the South African u23 National Team, Owen da Gama, has named his squad to represent the country at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games scheduled to start next month.
The SA u23 coach is is confident that the players who have been selected will write their names in the book of history.
“The technical team is very pleased with the balance in the squad, and the fact that we have five or six versatile players makes the squad stronger. We felt it necessary to limit the number of overage players, just so that we could make provision for another u23 player,” said Da Gama.
“We would like to thank the Association, the league and everyone who assisted us in putting together what we believe is a formidable team that will hold its own and represent South Africa well in Brazil. It was not an easy decision to make but we had to finally come up with a team that we believe will make us proud.”
The South African Football Association has called on South Africans to support the team.
“We would like to congratulate all the players who have been selected for this all-important assignment. It gives us great pleasure and pride to see the good work that has gone in preparing this team and we believe this will yield positive results in Rio. Now that the speculation is over about who will represent South Africa, we call on all South Africans to be behind this team as their success will lead to Bafana Bafana’s success. Most of these players will be in the senior soon The rules of the competition have made provision for an additional four players to be part of the squad that travels to Brazil, these four additional players will on the standby list, should any of the first 18 players get injured.
South Africa is in Group A alongside hosts Brazil, Iraq and Denmark.
South Africa last participated in the Olympic Games in the year 2000 under the leadership of Ephraim “Shakes”Mashaba who is currently the Bafana Bafana head coach.
SA u23 Men’s Fixtures:
Thursday 4 August
Brazil vs SA – 4 Aug
Mane Garrincha Stadium
16h00 (21h00 SA Time)
Sunday 7 August
Denmark vs South Africa
Mane Garrincha Stadium
19h00 (02h00 Monday, 8 Aug SA Time)
Wednesday 10 August
South Africa vs Iraq
22h00 (03h00 Thursday, 11 Aug SA Time)
The SA u23 squad to Rio Olympic Games:
1. Jody FEBRUARY Ajax Cape Town FC (SA)
2. Itumeleng KHUNE Kaizer Chiefs FC (SA)
3. Kwandakwensizwa MNGONYAMA Maritzburg United FC (SA)
4.Rivaldo COETZEE Ajax Cape Town FC (SA)
5. Abbubaker MOBARA Orlando Pirates FC (SA)
6. Mothobi MVALA Highlands Park FC (SA)
7. Erick MATHOHO Kaizer Chiefs FC (SA)
8.Tebogo MOERANE Bidvest Wits FC (SA)
9. Tercious MALEPE Orlando Pirates FC (SA)
10. Gift MOTUPA Orlando Pirates FC (SA)
11. Maphosa MODIBA Mpumalanga Black Aces FC (SA)
12. Deolin MEKOA Maritzburg United FC (SA)
13. Keagan DOLLY Mamelodi Sundowns (SA)
14. Phumlani NTSHANGASE Bidvest Wits FC (SA)
15. Menzi MASUKU Chippa United FC (SA)
16. Tashreeq MORRIS Ajax Cape Town FC (SA)
17. Lebogang MOTHIBA Lille F.C (France)
18. Tyroane SANDOWS Gremio FC (Brazil)
1. Nkosingiphile GUMEDE Golden Arrows FC (SA)
2. Andile FIKIZOLO Golden Arrows FC(SA)
3. Thapelo MORENA Bloemfontein Celtics FC (SA)
4. Thabiso KUTUMELA Orlando Pirates FC (SA)