VarsityFootball : TUT remain unbeaten after a tough battle against NWU

VarsityFootball : TUT remain unbeaten after a tough battle against NWU

It was nail-biting action as both the TUT and NWU teams left it all on the field in Tshwane on Monday night, with nothing separating them in a 2-2 draw.

It was the home side that got the match underway with the captain, Themba Ndlovu doing the honours. The Tshwane side were off to a good start, dominating play in the NWU half. Although Ndlovu and his boys did well to create chances, it was not easy to break the deadlock.

The TUT crowd were on their feet when Ndlovu stepped up to take a free kick from one of his danger positions, but it sailed wide. TUT kept increasing momentum against the defensive NWU side and they were rewarded when a hard and low shot flew into the bottom left corner from a Thabang Makgwane strike in the 18th minute. The NWU men did not have much control in the match but their endurance earned them an equaliser from an easy tap-in by Cameron Chweu in the 30th minute.

NWU’s presence was felt in the final 10 minutes of the first half as they seemed revived, not bacingk down and throwing all they had into the TUT half. They were not rewarded though, as both sides went into the break at 1-1.

The second half got off to a fiery start with both teams searching for the lead desperately. Both teams were balanced in the 60th minute, and none would succumb to conceding a goal.

NWU built up composure and gained possession of the ball. Their efforts were rewarded when captain Sandile Mbatha converted a penalty into the bottom left corner in the 67th minute.

TUT fought back and forced an own goal off the head of Gift Mogorosi in the 72nd minute, making the scores 2-2.

It was certainly not an easy match and the pressure was evident in the last minutes of the game, as both teams started making simple mistakes with the ball. TUT goalkeeper Sikhumbuzo Ncube did well to keep the NWU side out of the goals.

The last whistle blew, eventually, in what seemed to be a long 90 minutes, and the teams were tied at 2-2

FNB Player of the Match: Tebogo Mokgobo (NWU)

Samsung Best Shot: Thabang makgwane (TUT)


TUT: 2

Goals: Thabang Makgwane, Gift Mogorosi (OG)

NWU: 2

Goals: Cameron Chweu, Sandile Mbatha


TUT: Sikhumbuzo Ncube, Tebogo Lekaba, Tlotlo Mothibedi, Vusi Sibiya, Rorisang Rapelang, Thabiso Lebitso, Tumelo Mphela, Thabang Makgwane, Keabetswe Mokwena, Lebogang Phatlane, Themba Ndlovu © Substitutes: Kgaratlo Phatsoane, Mohau Mogotsi, Sello Ngoetjana, Ogorositwe Tabane, Lehlogonolo Letshwene, Kagiso Sole, Emmanuel Mahlangu.

NWU: Kennedy Ntuane, Gift Mogorosi, Mojuda Mathlanyane, Oratile Mothoagae, Abongile Lemese, Vincent Langa, Mogomotsi Molefe, Sandile Mbatha, Tebogo Mokgobo, Tshepo Baholo, Cameron Chweu.

Substitutes: Luzuko Jevuka, Vusumuzi Ludwala, Olebile Lethoko, Tshegofatso Malepe, Khotso Moleta, Michael Smit, Kgothatso Rampe