South Africa mourn the passing of Mbebe
Former SABC Executive and 2013 African Cup of Nations and 2014 African Nations Championship Local Organising Committee CEO, Mvuso Martin Mbebe, will be buried at his home in Umzimkhulu next Tuesday. A memorial service will be held in Kempton Park on Thursday afternoon.
Mbebe, who was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2013 and had been receiving treatment since then. He passed away due to complications from his condition at a private hospital in Kempton Park on Monday night.
He was the first co-Secretary General for Athletics South Africa (ASA), and was later appointed as the first Chief Executive Officer of the National Sports Council. Mbebe who was also the African Zone 6 Council of Sport.
SA Football Association (SAFA) President, Danny Jordan, says, “He was part of the sports movement for many years. He made an impact on SA Sport. It’s a sad loss. We’re thinking of his family and all those who struggled with him to bring about the kind of sports dispensation we have.”
The 52-year-old received the Steve Tshwete Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to sport through administration in 2013.
Mbebe family spokesperson, Sabelo Silinga, says, “Mvuso was arguably one of the best administrators, a strategist, very intelligent, can be stubborn but that was him. He had the courage of his convictions. He loved his family, his wife and son and the apple of his eye his daughter. He will be missed.”