SAFA : SA u20 coach announces provisional COSAFA Cup squad
Head coach of the South African u20 Men’s National Team, Thabo Senong, has announced a provisional squad of 26 players for the 2016 COSAFA u20 Cup tournament scheduled to take place in Rustenburg from 7 – 16 December.
Amajita will held their training camp in Rustenburg from today (Monday, 28 November) as Senong assesses his players further.
The squad will be trimmed down to the required 20 for the tournament on Sunday, 4 December – six players will be released from camp.
With some of his regulars now available after sitting down for year-end exams as well as others featuring for their clubs in the MDC Challenge, Senong has made several changes to the squad that defeated Kenya 3-1 in an international friendly match on Saturday, 26 November.
“I have always said due to the unavailability of the regular players for the Kenya match, it was a good chance for those who were selected to stake their claim in the final COSAFA Cup squad. I was impressed by some players, hence we have kept them to get an even more closer look before we trim the squad down. What the Kenya game indicated to us is that we have a very big and good pool of players. Most of them in that squad didn’t have experience but they played very well against a very strong and matured side,” said Senong.
“I am also happy that we have the other players back in the team. We are now entering our final week of preparations, so it pleases me that we have the players that we will use in the tournament. While we won against Kenya, there are still some areas of concern and we will use this final camp before the start of the tournament to work on those aspects we are not happy about.This week the old their training sessions at rations, so it pleases me that we have the players that we will use in the tourname”
The Burger King-sponsored Amajita will hold their training sessions at Olympia Park Stadium in Rustenburg.
At the COSAFA CUP, the South Africans are in Group A alongside Lesotho, Swaziland and Botswana.
Amajita are the defending champions after beating Kenya 2-0 in the final in Lesotho three years ago.
The hosts will face Lesotho in the opening match of the COSAFA u20 Cup at the Moruleng Stadium on Wednesday, 7 December.
Kickoff is at 19h30.
South Africa will lock horns against Swaziland in their second fixture, while Lesotho will go toe to toe with Botswana.
The matches will take place at the Moruleng Stadium, on Friday, 9 December with a kickoff of 14h00 and 11h00 respectively.
The final group stage clashes will be played on Monday, 12 December, with both matches kicking off at 17h00.
Amajita will host Botswana at the Moruleng Stadium and Lesotho will be up against Swaziland at the Mogwase Stadium.
GROUP A FIXTURES
07 December – 14h00
Swaziland vs Botswana – Moruleng Stadium
07 December – 19h30:
South Africa vs Lesotho – Moruleng Stadium
09 December 12 – 11h00:
Lesotho vs Botswana – Moruleng Stadium
09 December – 14h00:
South Africa vs Swaziland – Moruleng Stadium
12 December – 17h00:
Lesotho vs Swaziland – Mogwase Stadium
12 December – 17h00:
Botswana vs South Africa – Moruleng Stadium
PROVISIONAL SA u20 COSAFA CUP SQUAD
1.Sanele Tshabalala Bidvest Wits FC
2.Darren Johnson Ajax Cape Town FC
3. Kopano Thuntsane Orlando Pirates FC
4. Reeve Fosler Bidvest Wits FC
5. Thendo Mukumela Mamelodi Tigers FC
6. Kananelo Motsoeneng School of Excellence
7.Tercius Malepe Orlando Pirates FC
8. Bonolo Seeco Bloemfontein Celtic FC
9. Givemore Khupe Bidvest Wits FC
10. Aghmat Ceres Ajax Cape Town FC
11. Kabelo Seriba FC Metta (Latvia)
12. Mokgapedi Lesiane Harmony Academy
13. Wiseman Meyiwa Kaizer Chiefs FC
14. Nkosingiphile Ngcobo Kaizer Chiefs FC
15. Sibongakonke Mbatha Bidvest Wits FC
16. Kobamelo Kodisang Platinum Stars FC
17. Luther Singh Gais Goteborg FC (Sweden)
18. Sydney Mtshweni Supersport United FC
19. Sphumelele Mbulu Orlando Pirates FC
20. Sipho Mbule Harmony Academy
21. Lehlohonolo Radebe Polokwane City Rovers FC
22. Keletso Makgalwa Mamelodi Tigers FC
23. Katlego Ntshabeleng University of Johannesburg FC
24. Sifundo Sibiya Bidvest Wits FC
25. Menzi Ndwandwe Amazulu FC
26. Itumeleng Shopang Kaizer Chiefs