Rwanda2016: Angola beat South Africa in CHAN first leg

Rwanda2016: Angola beat South Africa in CHAN first leg

Angola beat South Africa 2-0 in the first leg of the CHAN qualifier at Rand Stadium to put one foot on the road to Rwanda 2016 on Saturday afternoon.


The visitors had taken the lead early in the second half and with the home side chasing the game, they left huge gaps at the back and were made to pay further when they conceded the second goal which will make life difficult for South Africa in the second leg.

Much as they tried, the home side failed to breach the Angolan defence well marshalled by goalkeeper Mario.

It was the hosts who started with lots of vigour forcing two early corner kicks though the two set pieces yielded nothing.

Angola could have opened the scoring in the 29th minute but Manuel Afonso contrived to miss an open goal after the home team defence had been prised open on the right flank. But with Wayne Sandilands well-beaten, Afonso blasted over the bar from less than 2 metres.

Roggert Nyundu could have done better for South Africa when captain Wandisile Letlabika took a quick free kick but the Black Leopards striker delayed to head goal wards allowing the visitors time to recover and clear the danger.

Moments later Michael Morton tested the Angolan keeper with a long range shot as both teams failed to create clear cut chances.

Jacinto Dala then saw his flashing header go wide from a corner as Angola again fashioned a half chance and soon after Manucho got a yellow card for a reckless tackle.

As Angola pushed numbers upfront, Manucho fired a long range shot which Sandilands did well to stop.

Soon after the break, a miscommunication between Sandilands and his defence saw South Africa survive a scare but Siyanda Zwane saved the situation as he cleared the ball from crossing the line.

Percy Tau then missed South Africa’s best chance when he was put through by Morton but his first touch let him down. South Africa where made to pay for the miss as Da Costa’s long range shot took a deflection to wrong-foot Sandilands for Angola’s opening goal.

Lyle Lakay then saw his effort saved by Angolan goalkeeper Mario as the home team chased for the equalising goal.

As South Africa continued to chase for the elusive equaliser, Morton missed another golden opportunity when he failed to convert after Angolan keeper had spilled Lakay’s shot. It was a big miss during a period the home side were attempting to come back into the game.

Amigo Memela then hit the upright with Angolan keeper well beaten as the home side continued to be frustrated.

As South Africa poured forward, they were left exposed at the back and were punished by Afonso who scored deep into added time to make life difficult for the home side going into the second leg.

Source : SAFA