#KnowYoursSport : FootGolf where Football meets Golf
A revolutionary new sport has hit the South Africa shores and its called FootGolf
The evolution of sport can be seen in many ways, but a revolution in sports has never come to being so perfect. A fresh, exciting new game has arrived… FootGolf. It’s the combination of accuracy, elegance and the essence of golf with the vibrant energy, fun and passion of football.
FootGolf is a combination of two popular sports, football/Soccer and Golf. The game is played with a regulation size 5 soccer ball on a golf course with shortened holes into a 53cm diameter cup. Similarly to Golf, the objective of the game is to get the ball into the hole in the fewest possible number of kicks just like Golf. FootGolf is neither a replacement of nor a competitor to Golf. It has its own identity.
FootGolf is not just a power kick it and see how far it can go sport. The is a precision to the game/sport. Players have to learn the role of the ball on different terrains of the golf course and grasses. As well as learning to control their shots and kicks to get the ball into the green and into the hole. Its a great way to work on player’s ball control, direction, passing and shooting cause the is an objective all the time.
With a lot of South Africa players struggling with scoring goals and completing passes this could be the answer to their problem.
How to Play FootGolf
The main goal of FootGolf is similar to the main goal of golf: to get the ball (in this case a standard #5 size soccer ball) from the teeing ground into the hole (21 inches in diameter) in the least number of kicks possible.
- To tee off, you may kick your ball from a position up to two yards behind the tee markers at the designated teeing area. Make sure your kick will not interfere with other players or golfers.
- The ball must be played in a single movement. You are not allowed to push the ball with the top or bottom of your foot.
- Wait to play your next shot until the ball has completely come to rest. It is not legal to stop the ball from rolling from the wind.
- Play the ball where it lies. You are not allowed to move the ball or remove jammed objects. Exception: You may mark the spot and lift the ball when it may obstruct another player’s kick or ball in any way.
- Do not kick a ball from the golf greens. If you ball comes to rest on a golf green, move it to the nearest spot off the green to kick. No penalty.
- Water hazard: If the ball lands in a water hazard, retrieve or replace it within 2 steps from the closest land point from where the ball entered the hazard (as defined by red stakes). Receive a one-stroke penalty. Or you may place the ball at the position of the previous kick and receive a one-stroke penalty.
- The player farthest from the hole is the first to kick the ball.
- Only on the greens may the balls be picked up to be cleaned or replaced.
– Regardless of the distance from the hole, the hole must be completed. “Giving” to the opponent is not allowed.
Out of Bounds: OB is defined by white stakes. If your ball goes OB, place the ball within 2 steps from where the ball crossed between the white stakes, and receive a one-stroke penalty.
If a player, on any hole, does not roll his/her ball into the hole and does not correct this mistake before kicking from the next teeing ground, he/she shall be excluded from the following competition.
A Stroke Play competition is one in which player finish every section of a prescribed round or rounds and the gross value of each hole on the scorecard is calculated. In this competition, all players are competing against each other.
- The winner is the player with the lowest number of kicks after the conclusion of the round.
In a handicap competition, the winner is the player who obtains the net lowest number of kicks after handicaps are calculated.
- Stroke Play penalties – a penalty for breaking a rule during a stroke play competition is two kicks, except in otherwise indicated cases.
- A Match Play competition is one in which combined parties of players compete against each other.
- The winner is the party with the lowest number of kicks after the conclusion of each hole.
- The following expressions are used during Match Play:
- Holes Up: the party with the hole advantage
- All Square: both parties with equal kicks
- A hole is halved if all parties get the ball into the hole in the same number of kicks.
- The overall winner of Match Play is the team that is leading with a higher number of “won holes” if the number of “won holes” is higher than the number of remaining holes left to play in the game.
The ball used by a player shall be the same as the official football size 5. It is the responsibility of the player to play with the appropriate ball. Every player shall mark his/her ball so it is easily identified as that player’s ball. The ball may have dirt, mud, or light material on it. It may have light scratches, damaged painting or color change.
Inappropriate Balls for the Game
- It is obviously torn, open, or damaged in other ways
- If it has strange form
Procedure for damaged ball, in game
If a player has reason to believe that during the game his/her ball has become damaged or unusable, he/she may raise the ball without penalty in order to decide whether it is still playable.
- Before raising the ball, the player must report his/her intention to all opponents and mark the place of the ball.
- After examination of the ball, the player must offer the ball (if requested) to other players for examination.
- A raised ball shall not be cleaned.
If a ball is determined to be inappropriate for the game, the player may replace it with another ball, placing it to the same spot where the original ball (at marker) was raised. Otherwise, the original ball must be replaced.
Inappropriate Balls for the Game
If, as a result of a kick, the ball becomes punctured, the kick will be cancelled and the player must play another ball, without penalty, from the nearest point to where the original ball was played.
How long will a game take?
9 holes will take approximately 1 and half hours while 18 holes could take 3 hours depending on the skill level.